- Metformin hydrochloride is used to treat patients with type 2 diabetes (also called non-insulin dependent diabetes) when diet and exercise alone have not been enough to control your blood glucose levels. It is used particularly in overweight patients.
DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION
- The recommended starting dose of GLUCOPHAGE is 500 mg orally twice a day or 850 mg once a day, given with meals.
- Increase the dose in increments of 500 mg weekly or 850 mg every 2 weeks on the basis of glycemic control and tolerability, up to a maximum dose of 2550 mg per day, given in divided doses.
- Doses above 2000 mg may be better tolerated given 3 times a day with meals.
- unusual muscle pain,
- feeling cold,
- trouble breathing,
- feeling dizzy or lightheaded,
- stomach pain,
- vomiting, and
- slow or irregular heart rate
Tell the doctor if you have any side effect that bothers you or that does not go away.
These are not all the possible side effects of Glucophage. For more information, ask your doctor or pharmacist.