- For the reduction of thrombotic events in patients with recent myocardial infarction, recent stroke, or established peripheral arterial disease.
- Used prophylactically in patients at risk of thromboembolic disorders such as myocardial infarction, peripheral arterial disease and stroke.
- For acute coronary syndrome (unstable angina/non-Q-wave MI).
- For prevention of atherothrombotic and thromboembolic events in atrial fibrillation.
DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION
- NORPLAT (Clopidogrel) can be administered with or without food.
- Recent MI, recent stroke, or established peripheral arterial disease: The recommended daily dose is one NORPLAT tablet (75mg) daily.
- Prophylactic use in patients at risk of thromboembolic disorders such as MI, peripheral arterial disease and stroke: The recommended daily dose is one NORPLAT tablet (75mg) daily.
- Acute coronary syndrome (unstable angina/non-Q-wave MI): Dose should be initiated with a single 300mg loading dose and then continued at 75mg once daily (with Aspirin 75mg-325mg once daily).
Clopidogrel is generally well tolerated. However the following adverse effects have been reported during treatment.
Common: Gastrointestinal disturbances (Diarrhea, abdominal pain, indigestion and nausea) and dermatological reactions (rash, pruritis).
Less common: Chest pain, Nose bleeds.
Rare: Gastrointestinal bleeding, gastric ulcers, severe neutropenia or agranulocytosis, thrombocytopenia, thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura, aplastic anemia, membranous nephropathy with nephrotic syndrome, loss of taste, acute arthritis.